May 1, 2011

Teacher's Day

The 2nd of May is celebrated as the Teacher's Day in Bhutan, my native land. The day coincides with the birth anniversary of the third King of Bhutan, His Majesty Jigme Dorji Wangchcuk. He was the one who started modern schooling in Bhutan & opened Bhutan's door to the outside world by joining the UN.
What better day than this to celebrate our teachers, who are the core force behind modeling us into who we become in the long run.

Today, I'm reminded of the times back in school when we'd spent a lot of time & energy in organizing the Teacher's Day. It used to be one of the most important days in the school calendar.
2nd of May always was a National Day to commemorate our late Majesty's birthday. Yet, students would hoard schools just to celebrate Teacher's Day.

We'd begin by singing the national anthem and reading out speeches & poems dedicated to our teachers. We'd get huge cakes and have a huge celebration, followed by dances and songs performed by the students for the teachers. Our teachers, too would join in :)

It's my second year in College now. And I still have the same respect I had for my teachers back home. I actually miss a lot of them.
School was not just school for me. It was my second home. I spent more time in school with my teachers than I did at home with my family.
My teachers have a big hand in the person that I am today.
My teachers helped me realize my potential and help me exercise it. I am a good orator now, thanks to Ma'am Norzin & Ma'am Chuki of my Lower Secondary School who recommended my name for my House Debate Team. And since then, there was no turning back. I was a part of the School Debate & Quiz Team for quite some years and we brought in a lot of trophies and medals.

In High School, I drew my inspiration from two of my English teachers; Ma'am PC (as we fondly call her) & Ma'am Sangay Lhamo. These are two of the strongest ladies I've met so far. They are great teachers & they make students so at ease in the classroom & yet are able to maintain the standard decorum in the classroom, which is an asset not every other teacher possesses.

I was a very introvert girl, very shy & timid. What boosted my confidence, what made me strong & proud of myself is all thanks to my teachers. They knew exactly when I needed to be pushed, when I needed to be warned of being self confident, when I needed to be complimented - and today, it is thanks to all their efforts that I am a second year medical student, living an independent life miles away from home, yet strong and confident of what I'm doing.

I salute my teachers, for putting in so much of effort to ensure that all of their students become successful individuals in future!


My teachers have always given me something else to think about at home, besides homework :)

No comments:

Post a Comment